Saturday 18 January 2014

Home land

With ease I managed to board a ferry, though my Surly needed extra ticket as I purchased my ticket with 24hours advance. Then wham!!! At the ferry terminal first printed sign: " watch out for pick pocketers" no more comments as I felt homely. Mind you I left my bike lock attached to someone's bike with explanation note at the beginning of my trip.
The ferry crossing was alright. I opted for a budget option and spent a night on the deck mingled with Russian speaking lorry drivers. As my neighbours I stretched my bones between seats on the floor and slept like a log. Even without shower facilities on the deck I managed to take care of myself, simply a wash basin become my dear friend.
Saturday 1pm the ferry reached Gdansk. Welcome home! What a strange feeling when  you are able to hear a mother language.

Left ferry terminal and pedaled south towards city centre. Soon afterwards I found a tranquil cycling lane running through city park. Then to my surprise I had a glimpse of the beach and Baltic Sea. The sandy path lead to the beach. Left Surly at the beginning of this path and I went to explore on foot. There was a cyclist getting ready for a swim and two young man next to bike stand. I cycled away only to do U-turn a minute later as I wanted to swim in Baltic as a fellow cyclist.
This way I met Jerzy who enjoys cycling and occasional swim in the sea.
While I went for a swim Jerzy, was looking after my bike. What a swim, water refreshingly cold, the sun came out strong. What a fond memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment