Wednesday 15 May 2013

Wheel build

My plan for up coming summer - cycle to Nordkapp.
Where on the way I plan to visit my brother and old childhood friend, both of them are located in Andenes area.
To do it, I need a bike, right.
One of crucial elements of the bike is a wheel, touring wheel.
To build my wheel, I need hub, rim and spokes. The front wheel is 32 spoked - DT Swiss, hub - Shimano XT M756, rim - Magic XM319.  Regarding spokes, the right length of the spoke is need it. My calculations were based on three online calculators; Sheldon Brown's spread sheet, DT Swiss spoke calculator and .... . All gave identical results.
When my last parcel arrived, me and my close friend could not resist to start building a wheel. We started at 10pm and aborted operation shortly after midnight. It was a disaster!  I need a different approach.
Next day after refreshing knowledge with a book: Jobst Brandt "The bicycle wheel'' I managed to assemble my first wheel.
Magnificent ! The wheel is build needs only final tensioning and truing.
Though I'm not a dancer I dance to Neil Diamond's "Forever in blue jeans" broadcasted on BBC Radio 2.
Whoa:-)

1 comment:

  1. Aha, tak wygladasz nie zarosniety ;-)

    Pozdrawiam, Konrad z norwegi

    ReplyDelete