Saturday 12 October 2013

Along E69

The night I spent at the Olderfjord Hotell Russenes Camping  where warm shower and dry accommodation done wonders to my spirit. Before setting of I stopped at local shop where I had good and lengthy conversation with a fellow traveler though business inspired. We said goodbye and I left. Direction North.
So far so good, cloudy sky though no rain just my nose started to play a bit. However, this could not  stop me now as ahead of me was a lengthy ride along E69, almost 100k which was well above my daily limit. With every kilometre I pedal the land was becoming barren, the weather unwelcoming and at some point even forbidding ride. This did not stop me either as long my lovely woollen insoles were dry I could carried on.
At the front of of Nordkapp tunnel, a sign, which informs you about possible fog in the tunnel. My first loud thought: Great! Fog is what I need now. I became familiar with the length of tunnels in Norway and this one is undersea. Well, just 7km of peaceful ride, the tunnel became a tranquil place, an oasis if you like from ranging elements outdoor. At some point I had an idea of staying overnight in the tunnel. Crazy one.
Stopped at the end of the the tunnel, where I could rest for a moment and fueled by strawberry jam and orange juice I had looked a head.

"The future is bright" I had tought. I was already above my daily limit. Darkness, rain and mighty howling wind left limited choice. I cycled on. Wrapped up in my waterproof gear, donning my helmet which gave me somehow strong safety feel,  as I faced the element. Not for long. First blow. I'm in the ditch! Then learn to "ride" against strong wind. Rode on the "English side" of the road and when the mighty came, I bowed.
This evening, I bowed so many times as it was only way to calm raging wind.
Then another tunnel and I rode in to the night, in the distance simmering lights of Honningsvag.
I followed a sign "Vacancy", like on the thread, which lead me to a place called   Norske Vandrerhjem.

No comments:

Post a Comment